Women's Basketball Weekly Release: February 27
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
Thursday, March 1
Southern vs. Texas Southern
Baton Rouge, La., 5:30 p.m.
Alcorn State vs. Prairie View
Lorman, Miss., 5:30 p.m.
Alabama A&M vs. Grambling State
Huntsville, Ala., 5:30 p.m.
Alabama State vs. Jackson State
Montgomery, Ala., 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 3
Alcorn State vs. Texas Southern
Lorman, Miss., 3:00 p.m.
Alabama State vs. Grambling State
Montgomery, Ala., 3:00 p.m.
Southern vs. Prairie View
Baton Rouge, La., 3:00 p.m.
Alabama A&M vs. Jackson State
Huntsville, Ala., 4:00 p.m.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs. Miss. Valley St.
Pine Bluff, Ark., 5:00 p.m.
NEWS AND NOTES:
• With the top-4 seeds decided -- Southern, Texas Southern, Grambling State and Prairie View will each host in round one of the 2018 SWAC Tournament -- there's still the matter of determining the regular-season champion. Southern (13-3 SWAC) has the easiest path, as a win over Texas Southern (12-4 SWAC) would clinch the No. 1 seed for the Jagaurs. In the event TSU wins and finishes with an identical 14-4 record as the Jaguars, the Lady Tigers would have to beat Southern by at least 11 points to win the point differential tie-breaker and the top overall seed.
• Prairie View (11-5 SWAC) can win the No. 1 seed with wins over Southern and Alcorn State AND a Southern loss to Texas Southern AND a TSU loss to Alcorn State.
• Grambling State (12-4 SWAC) can win the No. 1 seed with wins over Alabama State and Alabama A&M AND Southern losses to TSU AND PVAMU, AND a TSU loss to Alcorn.
• Prairie View's Shala Dobbins is 24 made free throws away from setting a new NCAA single-season record for free throws made. The current mark is 280, held by Kent State's Larissa Lurken.
• Grambling State's Shakyla Hill currently ranks in the league’s top five in scoring (15.2 PPG; 4th), rebounding (7.0 RPG; 3rd), field goal percentage (45.8 FG%; 5th), assists (5.8 APG; 1st), steals (4.9 SPG; 1st) and minutes played per game (35.9; 4th).
• Alabama A&M (5-11) and UAPB (5-12) are currently battling for the final tournament seed. A UAPB loss to Miss. Valley OR AAMU wins over Grambling AND Jackson State clinches the 8-seed for AAMU. If UAPB and AAMU end the season with identical 6-12 records, UAPB wins the point-differential tie-breaker and clinches the final tournament spot.
• Jackson State, Alcorn State and Alabama State are assured a tournament spot, but their respective seeding is undecided. Jackson State clinches the No. 5 seed with a win OR losses by Alcorn State AND Alabama State.
• The Lady Braves will be no lower than the No. 6 seed with an Alabama A&M loss, but could drop all the way to the No. 8 seed if they lose to Texas Southern AND Prairie View, AND Alabama State and Alabama A&M both win their remaining games (vs. Grambling and Jackson State). Alabama State currently sits seventh, but could drop to No. 8 if AAMU goes 2-0 in its final weekend of regular-season play and Alabama State suffers at least one loss.