Baseball Recaps: May 8
Northwestern State 7 Grambling State 3
NATCHITOCHES, La. - Anthony Hernandez pitched a season-high seven innings and fanned a career-high six batters, but it wasn't enough as the Grambling State University baseball team fell just short in a 7-3 loss to Northwestern State on Tuesday night at Brown-Stroud Field.
After two scoreless innings, Northwestern State (28-20) took advantage of an error to grab the first run of the game as Caleb Ricca doubled to left and advanced to third on an error by the left fielder. Chaney Dodge followed with a ground out to second as Ricca scored from third to give the Northwestern State a 1-0 lead.
Grambling State (23-23) tied the game at 1 in the top of the fifth as Garrett Smith opened the frame with a walk and moved to second on a wild pitch. Trevin Bolden advanced the runner to third on a sacrifice bunt and Smith came in to score the tying run on a ground out by D'Quan Matthews.
The Tigers broke the tie in the sixth with two runs and took advantage of a pair of Northwestern State errors.
Ace Felder drew a walk to begin the inning and stole second. Richard Ortiz doubled off the wall in left as Felder advanced to third and scored on an error by the left fielder. Ortiz moved to third on an error by the pitcher and scored when Isaiah Torres beat out an infield hit to give Grambling State a 3-1 advantage.
Back came the Demons in the bottom of the frame as Northwestern State plated two runs on two hits and took advantage of one error to tie the game at 3.
Northwestern State plated a pair of runs on three hits in the bottom of the seventh to grab a 5-3 advantage.
The Demons put the game away with two runs in the eighth to take a 7-3 lead.
Inside the Numbers
* Grambling State plated three runs on four hits, with three errors and left four on base.
* Isaiah Torres paced the Tigers offense with two hits.
* Marshawn Taylor and Richard Ortiz had one hit apiece.
* Anthony Hernandez (1-5) took the loss as he surrendered five runs (two earned) on six hits, with a career-high six strikeouts and a pair of walks.
* Elijah Saunders worked the final inning in relief.
* Northwestern State finished with seven runs on seven hits, committed two errors and stranded five base runners.
* Caleb Ricca led the way offensively for the Demons by going 2-for-4, with one run scored.
* Tyler Pigott, who retired his first eight batters, started on the hill and went three innings. He fanned three and walked one.
* Donovan Ohnoutka, Reed Michel and Evan Daigle (1-0) pitched in relief.
* Evan Diagle picked up the win by tossing three innings, with one hit, one strikeout and one walk.
Courtesy: Grambling State Sports Information
Albiene Christian 15 Mississippi Valley State 6
ABILENE, Texas – The Delta Devils of Mississippi Valley faced South Southwest wind gusts of up to 20 miles per hour while facing the Wildcats of Abilene Christian University. The contest ended with the Wildcats taking the victory 15-6.
It was an intriguing contest for Mississippi Valley as they faced a team a team that they faced earlier in the season.
After a scoreless first inning, the Delta Devils were able to score one run in the top of the second and hold the Wildcats scoreless in the bottom of the inning.
The third inning, Abilene Christian was able to secure five runs in the bottom of the third. They were also able to score twice in the fourth.
Mississippi Valley responded in the top of the sixth with two runs scored but ACU was able to push in four to increase their lead.
In the eighth, MVSU scored one run and allowed four. The top of the ninth inning saw Mississippi Valley score two additional runs.
Courtesy: Mississipp Valley Sports Information
MVSU finished with six runs on nine hits and two errors. Nicholas Johnson took the loss on the mound for the Delta Devils.