Volleyball Weekly Release: November 8
Wednesday November 8
Alabama State @ Florida A&M, 6 p.m.
Thursday, November 9
*Jackson State vs. Mississippi Valley State, 6 p.m.
*Grambling State vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 6 p.m.
Saturday, November 11
*Southern vs. Grambling State, 11:30 a.m.
NEWS AND NOTES
- With the top three seeds -- Alabama State at No. 1, Alabama A&M A&M at No. 2, and Texas Southern at No. 3 -- decided in the SWAC Volleyball Tournament, here’s some clinch scenarios for each remaining team.
- Grambling State (8-8) clinches the No. 4 seed with wins over UAPB and Southern.
- UAPB (10-7) clinches the No. 4 seed with a win over Grambling tomorrow night OR if Southern beats Grambling on Nov. 11.
- If Grambling loses to UAPB, GSU must defeat Southern in less than five sets OR by more total points to clinch the No. 5 seed.
- If Grambling defeates UAPB and Southern defeats Grambling, Southern clinches the No. 5 seed. Both Southern and Grambling are assured to be no worse than the No. 6 seed, respectively. Should Grambling lose to UAPB, it must beat Southern in less than five sets OR by more points to take the No. 5 seed.
- Prairie View (7-11) is the No. 7 seed by virtue of a point differential tiebreaker over Jackson State.
- If Jackson State defeats Mississippi Valley, it clinches the No. 8 seed in the tournament. If MVSU defeats JSU, it must do so in less than five sets -- as JSU beat MVSU in the team’s prior meeting in five sets -- OR defeat JSU by more points than JSU won by in the first meeting between the teams to leapfrog Jackson State for the final tournament spot.
- UAPB setter Britney Sahlmann set a new SWAC single-match high in assists this season, dishing out 53 of them in a win over Prairie View. Additionally, MVSU’s Kalin Barnes is the only player in the SWAC with 300 kills and 300 digs.
- Alabama State ranks in the top five in the nation in both total kills (fourth) and service aces (fifth), while they are in the top 10 in opponent hitting percentage (eighth) and assists (ninth).