Volleyball Release: Aug. 24
Friday, Aug. 25
Alcorn State @ New Orleans, 10 AM
Texas Southern @ Houston Baptist, 11 AM
Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs. LSU, 4 PM
Texas Southern vs. South Alabama, 4:30 PM
Alabama A&M vs. North Carolina A&T, 4:30 PM
Jackson State vs. Little Rock, 5 PM
Southern @ UT-Arlington, 6:30PM
Alabama State vs. Savannah State, 7 PM
Saturday, Aug. 26
Grambling State vs. North Carolina A&T, 9 AM
Southern vs. Houston, 10 AMTexas Southern vs. Texas Tech, 10 AM
Alabama A&M vs. Savannah State, 11:30 AM
Arkansas-Pine Bluff @ South Florida, 1 PM
Jackson State vs. Nicholls State, 2 PM
Texas Southern vs. Northern Kentucky, 2 PM
Alabama State vs. North Carolina A&T, 3:30 PM
Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs. Northwestern, 5 PM
Jackson State vs. Southern Mississippi, 5 PM
Southern vs. McNeese State, 5 PM
Monday, Aug 28
Alcorn State @ Loyola (La.), 6:30 PM
Tuesday, Aug 29
Mississippi Valley State @ Dillard, 4:30 PM
Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs. Central Baptist, 6:30 PM
Grambling State @ Tougaloo, 6:30 PM
Prairie View A&M vs. Houston Baptist, 6:30 PM
Alabama State @ Auburn, 7 PM
NEWS AND NOTES:
- Alabama State is the preseason favorite to take the SWAC volleyball title and is eyeing it’s second repeat in five years. The Lady Hornets open the season against Savannah State, a team that ASU is 6-0 against all-time.
- Prairie View will have to wait a few days to begin the season, as Tropical Storm Harvey has forced the Lady Panthers to back out of its scheduled tournament appearance at North Texas. PVAMU’s first game of the season is scheduled to be a home match versus Houston Baptist on Aug. 29.
- SWAC teams won’t be wasting any time testing their mettle against top-tier opponents, as Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Alabama State and Texas Southern will go up against Power 5 opposition early in the season. UAPB will face LSU and Northwestern while TSU will face Texas Tech, and ASU travels to Auburn on Tuesday.
- This year will see the return of the SWAC Volleyball East and West Roundups, as Texas Southern will host the West Roundup from Sept. 22-24 and Alabama State will host the East Roundup from Oct. 20-22.
- Among returning players in the country, Alabama State’s Briana Dorsey posted the ninth-best attack percentage (.411) in the nation last season.
-Southern’s Arabella Hall is the only returning player in the SWAC to amass triple-digits in kills last season. The 2017 Preseason Defensive Player of the Year turned away a combined 101 attacks in 2016.