2017 SWAC Softball Tournament Release
Wednesday, May 10
Alabama State vs. Prairie View, 9 AM
Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs. Alabama A&M, 12 PM
Texas Southern vs. Mississippi Valley, 3 PM
Alcorn State vs. Southern, 6 PM
Thursday, May 11
Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 3, 9 AM
Loser Game 2 vs. Loser Game 4, 12 PM
Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 3, 3 PM
Winner Game 2 vs. Winner Game 4, 6 PM
Friday, May 12
Winner Game 7 vs. Loser Game 5, 9 AM
Winner Game 8 vs. Loser Game 6, 12 PM
Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6, 3 PM
Winner Game 9 vs. Winner Game 10, 6 PM
Saturday, May 13
Loser Game 11 vs. Winner Game 12, 9 AM
CHAMPIONSHIP: Winner Game 11 vs. Winner Game 13, 1 PM (ON SWAC DIGITAL NETWORK)
CHAMPIONSHIP: Winner Game 11 vs. Winner Game 13, 4 PM (ON SWAC DIGITAL NETWORK, if nec.)
NEWS AND NOTES:
• Arkansas-Pine Bluff is the only team in the Southwestern Athletic Conference that has never won the league's softball tournament. The Lady Lions enter this year's tourney as perhaps the hottest squad playing, having won nine straight games and 13 of their last 16 en route to a program-best 18 wins this year.
•Alcorn State eyes its first championship since the 2010 season, where the Lady Braves came out of the loser's bracket to win the title under the guidance of current UAPB coach Kevin Montgomery.
• Defending champion Alabama State will look to join Southern (2003) and Mississippi Valley (2005) as the only two league schools to win the SWAC Softball Tournament championship on its home field. The Lady Hornets will try to ride their formidable offense to a successful title defense, as they lead the SWAC in batting average, runs, hits and home runs.
• Western Division champion Texas Southern is a perfect 4-0 in neutral-site games this season. The only other team in the SWAC with a winning record in neutral-site contests this year is Southern (3-2).
• Alcorn State's Taylor Hughes -- who leads the league in batting average, hits and doubles during conference play -- has reached base safely in 20 straight games.
• Arkansas-Pine Bluff's Paige Garcia is the only player in the league who has more runs batted in (41) than hits (38) on the year.
• Texas Southern is the only team in this year's tournament that has not lost a SWAC series this season.
• Arkansas-Pine Bluff currently holds the NCAA 2017 season-high mark of five triples in one contest. The Lady Lions accomplished the feat twice this year. Additionally, Prairie View is tied with Florida for the most doubles in a single game this season (8).
• Caitlyn Hayden of Alabama A&M has been the pitcher of record for 68.8 percent of the Lady Bulldogs' wins this year (11/16), the highest mark in the league.
• Arkansas-Pine Bluff (1st; .48) and Alabama State (5th; .45) rank in the top five nationally in triples per game.