Soccer Recap: August 26
New Mexico State 1, Grambling State 0
GRAMBLING, La. - The Grambling State University women’s soccer team opened its season on Friday with a victory at Texas A&M-Texarkana, but on Saturday, the Lady Tigers dropped a heartbreaker at home to New Mexico State, 1-0, at the GSU Soccer Field.
Grambling State (1-1-0) saw its best chance of the day erased in the just the third minute when Sage Nelson stole the ball in the defensive third and her shot to the middle of the goal was saved by Aggies goalkeeper Dmitri Fong. New Mexico State had plenty of opportunities in the first half, but couldn’t notch the opening goal, thanks in part to Lady Tigers’ goalkeeper Jordan Woodward.
After a scoreless first half, the game opened up and each team had several chances in the second half. The Aggies (3-0-1) appeared to grab a 1-0 lead in the 53rd minute, butNew Mexico State was whistled for offsides, which negated the goal.
The Aggies finally broke past the Lady Tigers defense in the 79th minute as Michaela Milavec struck a corner kick from the right side and as the ball bounced around the penalty area, Mariah Baker found Aileen Galicia on the back post for the game-winning goal.
The game was sloppy as Grambling State committed 22 fouls, while New Mexico Statewas whistled for just seven. Also, there were four yellow cards issued (three forGrambling State).
But the real turning point in the game was in the 79th minute. Having already had a goal disallowed for offsides, New Mexico State lined up for a corner kick. The ball bounced off two players in the penalty area before landing on the foot of Baker, who found Galicia on the back post for the tap in goal.
Inside the Numbers
· Grambling State goalkeeper Jordan Woodward finished with four saves in 90 minutes in goal.
· Dmitri Fong registered five saves for the Aggies.
· New Mexico State held a 14-8 advantage in shots.
· The Lady Tigers held a 5-4 edge in corner kicks.
News & Notes
· Seventeen Grambling State players saw action during Saturday’s game against New Mexico State.
· In 2016, the Lady Tigers lost twice by one goal (both in overtime – Prairie View A&M and Texas Southern).
· With another win, Grambling State would match the win total of 2015 (2-11-0).
· The game with Grambling State was the first of two this season for New Mexico State.The Aggies visit Alcorn State on Monday.
Courtesy of Grambling State Sports Information