Football Weekly Release: Nov. 22
WEEK 13 SCHEDULE
THURSDAY - NOVEMBER 23
94th annual Turkey Day Classic
Edward Waters at Alabama State
Montgomery, Ala. / 2 p.m.
SATURDAY - NOVEMBER 25
44th annual Bayou Classic
*Southern vs. Grambling State
New Orleans, La. / 4:00
NBC Sports Network
Rescheduled 33rd Labor Day Classic
*Prairie View A&M at Texas Southern
Houston, Texas / 6 p.m.
* Denotes SWAC Game
All Times Central
CONFERENCE NEWS & NOTES
The teams in each divison with the best conference records will advance to the Toyota SWAC Football Championship on December 2 in Houston. The head-to-head meeting is the tie-breaker.
• Tie-breaker scenarios
West Division race
Grambling State holds a one-game lead over Southern with the other three teams the division (Prairie View A&M, Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Texas Southern) mathematically eliminated from contention.
It will come down to the Bayou Classic between Grambling State and Southern to determine the SWAC West Division crown on Sat. Nov. 25 at 4 p.m. on NBC Sports Network in New Orleans. This will also decide a potential tie-breaker scenario.
• Alcorn State has already clinched the East Division title and will await the winner of the Bayou Classic.
• Alabama State will once again host a game on Thanksgiving Day to continue the tradition in the 94th annual Turkey Day Classic. The Hornets will host Edward Waters, a team they met only one other time and defeated 38-6 in 2009.
• The 44th annual Bayou Classic features the top two teams in interceptions this season in the conference. Grambling State has the most interceptions (14) while Southern has picked off 10 passes in 2017.
• Texas Southern has the best red zone offense in the conference, converting on 91.3 percent of their chances with 21 scores in 23 chances. (16 touchdowns and five field goals)
• Prairie View A&M will be seeking its third consecutive winning season under head coach Willie Simmons (20-11 career record with the Panthers)
• Conference leaders (through 11-22-17)
Rushing: De’Lance Turner (ALCN) 1,221 yards
Passing: Devante Kincade (GRAM) 2,238 yards
Receiving: Quinn McElfresh (MVSU) 889 yards)
Note: Khadarel Hodge (PVAM) currently has 810 receiving yards with one game remaining at Texas Southern this week.