Football Weekly Release: Oct. 13
WEEK 7 SCHEDULE
SATURDAY - OCTOBER 14
*Prairie View A&M at Alcorn State
Lorman, Miss. / 2:00 p.m.
*Mississippi Valley St. at Alabama A&M
Huntsville, Ala. / 2:00 p.m.
*Alabama State at Texas Southern
Houston, TX / 2:00 p.m.
AT&T Sports Net
Central State at Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Pine Bluff, Ark. / 2:30 p.m.
Jackson State vs. Tuskegee
Mobile, Ala. / 6:00 p.m.
Open: Grambling State, Southern
* Denotes SWAC Game
All Times Central
CONFERENCE NEWS & NOTES
• This week’s Prairie View A&M-Alcorn State match up features the only two skill set players in the conference to have scored three touchdowns in a single game. The Panthers’ Dawonya Tucker accomplished this against Sam Houston State on Sept. 7 while the Braves’ De’Lance Turner completed the feat versus Southern on Sept. 23.
• Mississippi Valley State wide receiver Quinn McElfresh possess the longest reception in a game this season when he caught a ball 82 yards against Southern Illinois on Sept. 9. The junior ranks third in the SWAC in receiving yards per game with 74.2 per game.
• Alabama A&M junior linebacker Yurik Bethune ranks tied for third in the SWAC in sacks with four. The Bulldogs will be facing the Delta Devils, who have thrown more passes (215) and for more passing yards (1,505) than any other team in the conference.
• Alabama State will welcoming in new interim head coach Donald Hill-Eley this week as he enters with a career coaching record of 59-76 at Morgan State, where he was the 2002 MEAC Coach of the Year.
• The Texas Southern offense has converted the best percentage (87.5%) inside the red zone to lead the conference. The Tigers have scored on seven of eight opportunities inside the 20-yard line (five touchdowns, two field goals, one interception).
• UAPB’s Shufon Alcorn leads the conference in passes defended with 10. The junior has nine pass break ups and one interception in six games thus far.
• Jackson State continues to lead the conference in time of possession, holding the ball for an average of 35 minutes per game.