Football Weekly Release: Sept. 13
WEEK 3 SCHEDULE
SATURDAY - SEPTEMBER 16
Jackson State at Grambling State
Grambling, La. / 6:00 p.m. / ESPN3/ESPNU (tape)
McNeese State at Alcorn State
Lorman, Miss. / 6:00 p.m.
Prairie View A&M at Nicholls State
Thibodaux, La. / 6:00 p.m.
Alabama A&M at South Alabama
Mobile, Ala. / 6:00 p.m. / ESPN3
Southern at University of Texas-San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas / 6:00 p.m. / KCWX-TV (locally)
Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Arkansas State
Jonesboro, Ark / 6:00 p.m. / ESPN3
Kennesaw State at Alabama State
Montgomery, Ala. / 7:00 p.m.
Open: Mississippi Valley State, Texas Southern
CONFERENCE NEWS & NOTES
• Getting after the quarterback: Grambling State ranks first in the SWAC in sacks thus far this season with five. Brandon Varner (two), Linwood Banks (one), La’Allan Clark (one) and De’Andre Hogues (one) all rank in the top 15 in the category.
• Big draw: Jackson State games have averaged a conference-best 45,058 fans per contest in 2017.
• Duel threat: Alcorn State senior quarterback Lenorris Footman ranks best in QB passing efficiency (134.4) and passing yards per game (226.5), but also ranks fifth in rushing yards per contest with 79.5 per game.
• Running through the competition: The Prairie View A&M rushing attack gobbled up 297 rushing yards on 45 attempts (SWAC best 6.6 yards per carry) in their first game at #3 Sam Houston State.
• Tackling machine: Alabama A&M defensive back Harvey Harris ranks tied for third in the conference with 18 tackles thus far with 11 solo stops and another seven assisted.
• Nice to meet you: There are four match ups this week that feature schools who have never met on the football field. Among them are Prairie View A&M-Nicholls State, Alabama A&M-South Alabama, Southern-University of Texas-San Antonio and Kennesaw State-Alabama State.
• Stingy in the red zone: Southern ranks best in the SWAC inside the 20 as the Jaguars have allowed just one touchdown and opponents to score on four of six opportunities (3-of-4 on field goals attempts). They also forced a turnover.