Feb. 22, 2011
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Alabama A&M’s Whiquitta Tobar has been named the SWAC Player of the Week, while Prairie View A&M’s Siarra Soliz was selected the SWAC Newcomer of the Week following their performances this past week.
Tobar (F, 5-7, Jr., Blytheville, Ark.) averaged 28.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game in two matchups last week. The junior fell just shy of a double-double with 26 points and nine rebounds in a loss to Alcorn State. Tobar scored a game-high 31 points to go along with four rebounds and four steals versus Southern. She finished 20-of-30 (.500) from the field on the week, including 6-of-10 (.600) from 3-point range.
Soliz (G, 5-8, Fr., Houston, Texas) averaged 15.0 points, 2.0 assists and 1.5 steals per game in two games last week, as Prairie View A&M defeated Mississippi Valley State and Arkansas-Pine Bluff. She scored 14 points in the win over the Devilettes. Soliz had 16 points, three assists and two steals in a home victory over the Lady Lions.
• Dominique Smith (G, Prairie View A&M) – Had 25 points and seven rebounds against Arkansas-Pine Bluff
• Kiara Ruffin (F, Alcorn State) – Scored 28 points in a win over Alabama State
• Alia Frank (F, Mississippi Valley State) – Had 28 points and eight rebounds versus Texas Southern
• Hannah Kador (G, Southern) – Averaged 14.6 points and 6.0 rebounds in a pair of games
• Beatrice Banks (G/F, Jackson State) – Scored 16 points in a win over Grambling State
• Alexis Watson (G, Grambling State) – Had 12 points and three rebounds versus Jackson State
• Brittney Lakes (C, Mississippi Valley State) – Averaged 11.0 points and 8.0 rebounds in two games
• Takeya Felder (G/F, Jackson State) - Scored eight points against Grambling State