May 14, 2011
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - The No. 12 Florida State (FSU) women's tennis team defeated Southern 4-0 at Texas A&M's George P. Mitchell Tennis Center during the first round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament.
FSU secured the doubles point with a 8-4 victory over Carlista Mohammed and Jo'Vonna Gaines.
Florida State continued the momentum into singles by winning all the first sets.
The match marked the first ever contest between Florida State and Southern. Coming into the tournament Southern was fresh off winning their second straight Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) championship and made their second straight NCAA appearance. Overall the Lady Jaguars have won the SWAC in six out of the last nine years. With the victory FSU will make its fifth all-time appearance in the second round of the tournament.
No. 12 Florida State 4, Southern 0
Singles: Order of Finish 4, 1, 3*
1. #31 Katie Rybakova (FSU) def. Carlista Mohammed (SU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Francesca Segarelli (FSU) vs. Kathryn Curtis (SU) 6-2, 5-0 DNF
3. #51 Noemie Scharle (FSU) def. Demetria Woods (SU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ruth Seaborne (FSU) def. Lisbeth Castaneda (SU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Federica Suess (FSU) vs. Jo'Vonna Gaines (SU) 6-3, 5-1 DNF
6. Amy Sargeant (FSU) vs. Lois Alexis (SU) 6-2, 3-3 DNF
Doubles: Order of Finish 3, 1*, 2
1. Scharle/Suess (FSU) vs. Mohammed/Gaines (SU) 8-4
2. Seaborne/Segarelli (FSU) def. Curtis/Alexis (SU) 8-2
3. Rybakova/Sargeant def. Woods/Castaneda (SU) 8-1