Volleyball Release: October 12
Thursday, October 12
*Mississippi Valley State vs. Jackson State, 6 p.m.
Alabama State vs. Alabama, 7 p.m.
Saturday, October 14
Prairie View A&M @ Sam Houston State, 2 p.m.
Tuesday, October 17
Alcorn State vs. Wiley/William Carey (tri-match), 2/6 p.m.
Grambling State @ Dillard (DH), 3/5 p.m.
Prairie View A&M @ McNeese State, 6:30 p.m.
Texas Southern vs. Jarvis Christian, 6:30 p.m.
NEWS AND NOTES:
- Alabama State’s Ni’yesha Brown put down a career-best 25 kills this past Monday, recording her 500th career kill and earning SWAC Offensive Player of the Week in the process. The SWAC’s kills leader will look to keep it going versus Alabama, a team that ASU is 0-14 against all time.
- Texas Southern newcomer Kirby Anderson has made her presence known for the Lady Tigers, especially in the defensive aspect of the game. Her 1.18 blocks per set leads the SWAC and ranks her among the top 75 players in the nation in the category.
- October 20 marks the start of the second #SWACVB roundup of the season, when Alabama State hosts every team in the league as East meets West once again. The roundup will featured 25 matches in three days.
- Alabama A&M’s Syretha Pride has been a walking block party for the Lady Bulldogs this season. The senior made six solo blocks in a five-set thriller versus Jacksonville State on Oct. 10. Despite the loss, Pride -- who has put together six matches with five or more total blocks -- took over the top spot in the nation when it comes to most solo blocks made in a match this season.
- Alabama State (.159), Grambling (.163) Texas Southern (.163) rank in the top 30 nationally when it comes to opponent hitting percentage allowed this season.
- The Lady Hornets are as hot as any team in the country, as they boast the nation’s fourth-longest active win streak (11) and the nation’s third-best active win streak in conference play (30).