Soccer Recaps: October 27
Grambling State 3, Arkansas Pine Bluff 0
GRAMBLING, La.| The Grambling State University women’s soccer team secured second place in the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) on Friday afternoon as the Lady Tigers rolled past Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 3-0, during Senior Day at the GSU Soccer Complex.
Grambling State (9-7-1 overall, 7-2-1 SWAC) finished the regular season with 22 points and through 10 matches is tied for second place in the SWAC. Based on head-to-head results, the Lady Tigers will enter the SWAC Tournament (Nov. 2-5) as the No. 2 seed. On Thursday night, Alabama State clinched the top seed with a 4-0 victory over Alabama A&M.
Grambling State opened the scoring in the 18th minute when Brittany Terry’s cross bounced off Lady Lions goalkeeper Alexus Jones and to the foot of Kristy Melendez, who slammed home the open net goal to give the Lady Tigers a 1-0 advantage.
The Lady Tigers extended the lead to 2-0 in the 75th minute when Kaylee Holt scored off a pair of assists by Terry and Kiawna Mounts.
Holt nearly put the game out of reach just two minutes later, but her shot inside the six-yard box went wide.
Grambling State put the final touches on a great afternoon in the 85th minute when Terry’s shot banged off the cross bar and Jessica Miller-Ulmer was there to slide it past Jones, giving the Lady Tigers a 3-0 lead.
Inside the Numbers
- Grambling State goalkeeper Dominique Bridge, who made her first start of the season, registered three saves in 90 minutes.
- Alexus Jones recorded five saves for the Lady Lions.
- Grambling State out-shot Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 13-8, including an 8-3 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Lady Lions held a 6-4 edge in corner kicks.
- There were 35 fouls and two yellow cards issued.
News and Notes
- Prior to the Grambling State honored four seniors – Rebekah McCarty, Lanita Hughes, Janee Harris and Dominique Bridges.
- Grambling State remains one victory of matching the 2009 team (10-7-1).
- The Lady Tigers were predicted to finish 10th in the SWAC Preseason Poll.
- Grambling State is in search of its first tournament championship since 2006.
- The Lady Tigers have won two SWAC Tournament titles (2004 and 2006).
- With the loss, Arkansas-Pine Bluff (2-13-1, 2-7-1) was eliminated from the SWAC Tournament.
Courtesy: Grambling State Sports Information
Jackson State 1, Southern 1
BATON ROUGE, La. – Jackson State and Southern played to a 1-1 tie on Friday afternoon in Baron Rouge, La.
After a scoreless first half, Jackson State got on the board in just the 46th minute, when Jessica Blair scored to give the Lady Tigers the lead, 1-0.
Southern tied the match in the 80th minute, when Abby Farias scored to even the game at 1-1.
Neither team would be able to take a lead late and the match went to overtime. Neither team was able to find the back of the net in the extra periods, ending the game in a tie.