Volleyball Release: October 26
Thursday, October 26
*Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs. Grambling State, 6 p.m.
Sunday, October 29
*Texas Southern vs. Southern, 4:30 p.m.
*Mississippi Valley State vs. Alabama State, 5 p.m.
*Alcorn State vs. Alabama A&M, 5 p.m.
*Prairie View A&M vs. Grambling State, 5 p.m.
Monday, October 30
*Alcorn State vs. Alabama State, 6 p.m.
*Prairie View A&M vs. Southern, 6:30 p.m. (WATCH ON SWAC DIGITIAL NETWORK)
*Texas Southern vs. Grambling State, 6:30 p.m.
*Mississippi Valley State vs. Alabama A&M, 7 p.m.
NEWS AND NOTES:
- Alabama State pushed its SWAC match winning streak to 35 straight thanks to a 5-0 ledger at last weekend’s volleyball roundup. The Lady Hornets can clinch the SWAC regular-season title -- and the No. 1 seed in the 2017 SWAC Volleyball Tournament with wins versus Mississippi Valley State and Alcorn State OR one more win combined with an Alabama A&M loss.
- Alabama A&M’s Syretha Pride leads the country in total solo blocks with 35 stops thus far in the season. Meanwhile, Texas Southern junior and reigning Newcomer of the Week Kirby Anderson ranks in the top 50 nationally in blocks per set (1.30).
- Alabama State’s Briana Dorsey raised her league-leading hitting percentage more than 20 points over the week, going from .385 to .407. This is the 17th-best attack clip in the country.
- The upcoming stretch of matches are going to be especially key for Mississippi Valley State and Prairie View A&M, who are currently tied for the eighth and final spot in the 2017 SWAC Volleyball Tournament. It won’t get any easier for either side as MVSU must take on Alabama State and Alabama A&M -- the teams that would be the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds in the tournament if the season ended today. Prairie View A&M will face Southern and Grambling State, who defeated the Panthers 3-1 and 3-0, respectively, in the teams’ first meetings this season.
- Alabama State’s Ni’yesha Brown ranks 21st in the nation in total kills with 356.
- MVSU’s Kalin Barnes needs 48 kills over the rest of the season to be the only player in the SWAC with at least 300 kills and 300 digs. Barnes -- who averages around 8.5 kills per match -- would have to average close to 10 kills a match in MVSU’s five remaining contests to achieve this.