Volleyball Release: October 5
Thursday, October 5
*Alcorn State vs. Jackson State, 2 p.m.
*Grambling State vs. Centenary, 6 p.m.
*Prairie View vs. Texas Southern, 6:30 p.m.
*Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs. Southern, 6:30 p.m.
*Alabama A&M vs. Alabama State, 7 p.m.
Sunday, October 8
*Jackson State vs. Alabama A&M, 4 p.m.
*Texas Southern vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 4:30 p.m.
*Southern vs. Grambling State, 5 p.m.
Monday, October 9
*Alcorn State vs. Mississippi Valley State, 6 p.m.
*Prairie View vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 6:30 p.m.
*Jackson State vs. Alabama State, 6 p.m
Tuesday, October 10
Alabama A&M vs. Jacksonville State, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, October 11
Alcorn State vs. Tougaloo/Mississippi College, 2/6 p.m. (tri-match)
NEWS AND NOTES:
- Alabama State is currently on a 28-game winning streak against conference opposition. This is the sixth-longest active streak in the country, but that run will be put to the test tonight as in-state rival Alabama A&M -- who boasts a 7-0 record in SWAC play like Alabama State -- hosts the defending champions tonight.
- The Lady Hornets have made life at the net miserable for opposing offenses, as their .157 opponent hitting percentage is 25th best in the country. They’ve been even more arduous on conference opposition, boasting a .095 opponent hitting percentage. Grambling State also ranks in the top 50 nationally in this category, allowing just .167 percent of opponent attacks.
- It’ll be strength versus strength at Prairie View when the Lady Panthers’ second-ranked offense -- in terms of kills per set (11.74) -- will go up against a Texas Southern squad that leads the conference in blocks at 2.56 per frame.
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff -- which has not played since the SWAC West Volleyball Roundup at Texas Southern -- will have a tough task as the Lady Lions host Southern tonight. However, the Jaguars have yet to win a true road game in the 2017 season (0-3).
- Grambling State is set for a tilt with Centenary in a rematch of the teams’ five-set affair on Sept. 18. Chasity Nicks posted 17 kills in a winning effort for the Lady Tigers in the squads’ prior meeting.