Soccer Recap: September 13
LaTech 3, Grambling State 2 (OT)
GRAMBLING, La. - Kristy Melendez and Kaylee Holt scored second-half goals as the Grambling State University women’s soccer team rallied to tie the game and force overtime, but Louisiana Tech notched the game-winning goal just three minutes into the extra period for a 3-2 victory on Wednesday at the GSU Soccer Complex.
The Lady Tigers (2-5) fell behind quickly against the Lady Bulldogs in the first half.
Just 55 seconds into the contest, Oliva Millington’s free kick from the right corner of the penalty area found the back of the net as Louisiana Tech led 1-0.
The Lady Bulldogs (6-1-2) added to the lead in the 26th minute when Monica Gebler found a streaking Mylene Roy-Ouellet, who placed it past Lady Tigers goalkeeper Jordan Woodward for the 2-0 advantage.
After intermission, Grambling State came out on fire and the hard work was rewarded in the 58th minute when Melendez scored off a rebound to cut the Louisiana Tech lead to 2-1.
Sloppy play on the back line led to Grambling State tying the game in the 64th minute.
With Louisiana Tech passing the ball from one side to the other, a careless pass from a Lady Bulldogs defender was stolen by Holt, who raced into the penalty and fired a shot past Louisiana Tech goalkeeper Courtney Thompkins for the equalizer.
The two teams traded shots in the final 20 minutes before ending regulation tied at 2.
In overtime, Jaelyn Peeples’ long pass was flicked on by Jenna Dages, which caught the Grambling State back line frozen, as Nomvula Kgoale ran pass her defender and chipped the ball past Woodward for the game-winning goal.
There were several twists and turns throughout Wednesday’s game.
To start with Grambling State fell behind early and surrendered a goal just 55 seconds into the game. The Lady Tigers entered halftime down 2-0.
However, Grambling State picked up a pair of second-half goals and took advantage of sloppy play out of the back to tie the game at 2.
Inside the Numbers
· Grambling State goalkeeper Jordan Woodward played all 92:29 minutes in goal.
· Courtney Tompkins, who received a yellow card, recorded five saves for the Lady Bulldogs.
· Louisiana Tech held a 12-10 edge in shots, but Grambling State finished with a 7-3 advantage in shots on goal.
· The Lady Bulldogs took two corner kicks (one in the second half and one in overtime).
News & Notes
· Grambling State dropped its fourth one-goal decision of the season.
· In the first six games this season, only one contest has not been decided by a single goal (Southern Miss).
· In 2016, Grambling State fell to Louisiana Tech, 9-0.
· The Lady Tigers played their first overtime game of the season and are now 0-1-0 in those contests.
· With another win, Grambling State would surpass its win total for the past seven years. In fact, the last time the Lady Tigers had won three or more matches was in 2009 (10-7-1).