Cross Country Release: September 1
Mississippi College Season Opener (Sept. 2, 5 p.m., Clinton, Miss.)
Texas A&M Aggie Opener (Sept. 2, College Station, Texas)
Texas Southern (men)
UNO Privateers XC Opener (Sept. 2, New Orleans, La.)
Tennessee Tech Golden Eagle Invitational (Sept. 3, 9:45 a.m., Cookeville, Tenn.)
Alabama A&M (women)
Texas Lutheran Invitational (Sept. 3, Seguin, Texas)
Prairie View A&M
News and Notes:
- Grambling State (men) and Alabama State (women) enter the season as defending Southwestern Athletic Conference Cross Country Champions. GRAM is seeking to become the first men's team since the 2012-13 Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils to successfully retain the crown.
- If the Lady Hornets can defend their title, it would mark the second-longest title-winning streak in SWAC history in the sport behind the 1979-1985 Jackson State Lady Tigers. ALST's run of five-straight is tied with the 1995-1999 Grambling State Lady Tigers for the second-most titles won in succession.
- Reigning Runner of the Year Hassan Chepkwony won seven of the eight SWAC Men's Runners of the Week awards last season during his freshman campaign. The only other runner to win the honor besides him was Prairie View A&M's Aaron Austin. In individual standings, Chepkwony and Austin finished first and second, respectively, at the 2015 championships.
- On the women's side, Mariah Stewart (Texas Southern) and Akeilia Knight (Jackson State) are the only athletes returning that won Runner of the Week at least once last season.
- Eight of top 10 spots from last year's championships were held by runners from Alabama State.