Football Weekly Release: Oct. 4
WEEK 6 SCHEDULE
THURSDAY - OCTOBER 5
*Alcorn State at Alabama State
Montgomery, Ala./ 6:30 p.m
SATURDAY - OCTOBER 7
92nd State Fair Classic
*Prairie View A&M vs #19 Grambling State
Dallas, TX / 4:00 p.m.
*Alabama A&M at Southern
Baton Rouge, La. / 6:00 p.m.
*Mississippi Valley St. at Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Pine Bluff, Ark. / 6:00 p.m.
Texas Southern at Kennesaw State
Kennesaw, Ga. / 6:00 p.m.
PeachTree TV (Local)
Open: Jackson State
* Denotes SWAC Game
All Times Central
CONFERENCE NEWS & NOTES
• Racking up the points: Alcorn State leads the conference in points per game with 31.8 points per contest. The Braves have produced the top two scoring performances in a single game thus in 2017 with 50 points against Miles College on Sept. 2 and 48 points scored against Southern on Sept. 23.
• Looking for offense: Alabama State has scored just 27 points in four games, an average of 6.8 points per game. The Hornets also rank last in yardage with 213.5 yards of total offense.
• State Fair rivalry: Prairie View A&M and Grambling State have split their prior eight meetings since 2009 (each team has won four games in the head-to-head series). Grambling State dominates the all-time series 51-18-1.
• Off and running: Alabama A&M has started conference play 2-0 for the first time since 2012. The Bulldogs receive a big test at Southern in Baton Rouge this week where the Jaguars defeated them 59-31 a season ago.
• Looking for his first: Mississippi Valley State freshman quarterback Christopher Fowler ranks second in the SWAC in passing yards per game (188.5 per contest), but is still seeking his first career touchdown pass.
• That’s better: Arkansas-Pine Bluff (2-3) has already won more games this season than they did all of 2016 (1-10).
• Protect the QB: Texas Southern is tied with Alcorn State for the least amount of sacks allowed by opposing defense with just five.